The Way of Water or the Strength of Weakness
according to Laozi's Daodejing 道德經 (The Book of the Way and its Potency)
Images of water permeate the book with metaphors that show how suppleness, apparent weakness, and the ability to yield and to endure can overcome force and violence. 'The strength of weakness' is presented as a way to succeed and to nurture life, for which one must shift internally and adopt another view on human relationships and on how life proceeds. When this change is achieved, 'The Way of Water' reveals its richness and its marvelous efficiency, leading us close to the source of life.
During the four webinar lectures, this perception will be demonstrated through several selected Daodejing chapters. Several other texts of the same period (the turn of the 3rd century BC) that share the same approach will also be presented.
Among the topics that will be addressed during this webinar are :
- A short presentation of the Daodejing and some of its key concepts
- The main qualities associated with Water, and as positioning the female to conquer the male
- Weakness as the centerpiece of the Sage's attitude and conduct.
- The double aspect of Strength: the violence of forcing people and events, and the potency flowing from a life in accordance with the Dao
- Emptiness and nothingness as foundations of the potency of Water
- How the way of Water can inspire our lives
Sept. 16, 23, 30 and Oct. 7
4 sessions, Mondays at 12:30 pm PDT (3:30 pm EDT, 9:30 pm CEST/Paris).
Elisabeth Rochat de la Vallée, Dean of Studies of the European School of Acupuncture
CEUs/PDAs : 4 (pending)
Cost for complete webinar : $60 ($90 for course and CEUs)
(registration starts july 15th 2019) registration